Saturday, October 30, 2010

Those Robinia logs, and the Dutch Wave

Lots of queries about how Monique & Thierry Dronet at Berchigranges (see last blog) use robinia logs to build up slopes. Philippe Ferret kindly sent me some pictures of the technique soon after construction:




Meanwhile back home, the Garden Museum have launched their Dutch Wave exhibition, funny to see one's life become history, The exhibition probably would not have been there if it hadn't been my plugging away telling everyone about the Dutch garden scene back in the mid 1990s. There have been a series of events featuring Piet Oudolf, "they sold out quicker than anything else we have ever organised" said museum director, Christopher Woodward. Back in the 1990s we bewailed the chauvinistic inward-looking nature of the British gardening scene. How things have changed!

See an article in The Daily Telegraph. to hear some reminiscences.

1 comment:

The Intercontinental Gardener said...

I just love the logs. A couple of years ago, we had a great storm in Sweden that resulted in a huge overflow of timber. Then, I played with the idea of building similar walls, but somehow shyed off. Now I know my instincs were right, and I think there will be a couple of timber walls in my garden. Good for us and for all little bugs who love them, too. Thanks for the post!